Tuesday, June 30, 2009

So good to feel good

The last day of June and apparently not too soon with how rough this month has been for so many folks around the country, world and right here at home. My struggles/desire to lose weight is such a small struggle compared to what we are facing as a people in this day and time in history. Though I'm still working on it :0

This past week I was sick enough to end up in the hospital and was complaining the whole time about having to use my work personal time on being sick. Complaining about how this was such a waste of my valuable time, that I couldn't get anything constructive done....whine, whine, whine.

The lessons came fast, strong and sweet. Being sick showed me the compassion of others, (you know who you are and I love all of you for your kindness). Being sick showed me again what a wonderful man I am married to as I am not a great patient, (I know, hard to believe). Being sick showed me once again that I am not in control, when my body is at it's breaking point it shuts down no matter how hard I push.
Being sick taught me once again to be grateful for my health, for this wonderful body that God created and that I need to take better care of it.

With the heartache, stress, pain, confusion, loss and helplessness that so many have experienced these past couple of years, months, weeks,and days it's no wonder that for so many the light is dim, hope seems far away and the thought of helping others has given away to helping one's self. After all, if we don't take care of ourselves who will, times are tuff we don't have the time, money, energy, etc. to give a hand up, go out of our way to lessen another's burden, its hard enough taking care of ourselves. We are running as fast as we can after all........

Here is a lesson I have learned from others and have experienced for myself first hand. When I am feeling most down, most hopeless, most selfish, that life is unfair, I work hard, am a good person, it's just not fair.

I have a simple cure....

Reaching out to lessen another's burden. The best part is it doesn't have to be big, (a smile for the clerk behind the cash register, eye contact, letting a car cut in front of you, giving up the close parking space, holding the door for someone else, giving the benefit of the doubt rather then judging. Treating all that you come in contact with as a child of God and therefore having a divine birthright as that is who they are whether they remember it or not). Of course there are countless other things that amazingly lift my spirits and increase my smiles when I take the focus off of me.

Now I am not a great example of the above, remember I am still learning the lessons, yet I can tell you without a doubt that each time I remember and act upon this simple cure I am the one who benefits.

So lets reach out and lift each other, (it's like water, our burdens are lighter when we buoy each other up).

2 comments:

  1. Wow you have had learned a lot just by getting sick. Funny how the Lord has to teach us sometimes. We don't stop enough to listen so He finds another way to make us stop and listen.
    I loved this post. I really enjoyed reading your insights on lessons to be learned. It is all very true. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This and the other's are great insights into the real world. God works in His time in His way and we are blessed each day we have here on earth to learn all the lesson's we are to learn. Thank you .

    ReplyDelete